My Latin dress: the leotard

      1 Comment on My Latin dress: the leotard

So following on from my posts about inspiration, design and colour schemes, I actually went and bought the first part of my latin dress! The underlying leotard.

The Leotard: 

This comes from american apparel and cost about £20 I think. I could have got it for much cheaper if I had gone for a white leotard, but initially I didn’t plan on covering the leotard, but was going to use it straight off.
However… when I got it, I decided that the material really was a little too thin to have just that supporting the dress, plus it had quite shiny elastic as its trim. 
Luckily I had some matt nude lycra lying around the house (I think it might have been picked up from the bargain bin in FabricLand). So I decided that I would cover the leotard in the nude lycra to give it a better finish and a little more body to the fabric.
My second bit of luck was our acquisition of my mum’s dressform that I could use for draping. I do not even have a clue how I would have managed without it… 
So here is the leotard on the dressform by itself, not too bad, but definitely a little on the thin side. 
I started playing around a little with some draping, trying to work out how to cover the halterneck and body but also leaving enough material to create a skirt section (so that I wouldn’t have to have a seam to connect a skirt to the bottom of the leotard.
This is mid-way through some experimentation, shaping the fabric to half to the halterneck. I actually didn’t complete it like this though, as I didn’t want vertical seams all over the dress. I wanted 1 seam, in the back of the dress, but nothing on the front.
Once I had played around a little, I cut a slit in the middle fabric, to make a part for the left and right sides of the neck and started pinning and shaping the lycra over the leotard…
Now it may look a little wrinkled and messy here, but thankfully it actually looks quite decent in person. Once the material was all pinned I tack stitched it all the way round. 
Once I was happy with the positioning of all the fabric I stitched around all the edges with my double needle which (I think) gives it a very professional looking edge to the leotard.
At the back of the leotard where the draped fabric came together I stitched down the back to complete the skirt, this was a little difficult as the fabric was quite tight, but I managed it successfully and the fringing should shape out the skirt correctly.
Unfortunately I don’t have a photo from the early stages, so this image shows some of the fringing as well…
I also decided to change the crotch of the leotard to have a popper opening. For this I cut the base of the leotard and stitched soft elastic across the raw edges, this prevents the lycra from being distorted. Then 3 sets of poppers were attached. It is important to make sure they are correctly positioned. If I do this  again I will try to by poppers which are attached to binding strips as it makes them much easier to sew on in the correct positions relative to each other.
Nikki
Share

One thought on “My Latin dress: the leotard

  1. Pingback: My Latin dress: The fringing | Beads and Barnacles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *