So I have been aiming to make macarons for quite a while now. They look so amazing when I see them in shops but they look really quite difficult to make… I did once make them before, but I cheated and used a macaron mix in a pack…
This is how my macarons turned out last time from a pack mix:
This time I decided to make some apple filed macaroons (mainly because I had a significant amount of apple filling around) although I do have lots of other flavours that I want to make as well.
(I did also try making peppermint flavoured one by adding essence into the egg white mix, it completely caused them to lose all of their texture – I would presume this is due to the oily nature of the essence)
4 ounces (115g) almond flour
8 ounces (230g) icing sugar
5 ounces egg whites (144g) – for this I actually used a carton of egg white, so much easier!
2 1/2 ounce (72g) sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp (2g) salt
I followed the instructions given on Bravetarts, and I have to say, they turned out pretty well! Although maybe not quite as uniform as they could be, I still need to perfect my piping technique a little…
|The tray of macarons resting before going in the oven|
They actually cooked very well and have a shoulder like they should =)
|A tray of macarons fresh from the oven.|
The filling was actually the most difficult part, trying to get it too the right consistency was very annoying, I managed it eventually although it made it quite sugary from all the icing sugar I added. If I do this flavour combination again I might try use a jam or jelly instead.
|Filling the macarons|
Then it’s just a case of matching the macarons into pairs and putting them together, and watching them get demolished because they are very tasty! 🙂
|All ready for eating!|
Not bad at all for my first try at macarons from scratch, they certainly don’t look too different to the ones I made from a pack mix! Definitely going to be trying these again with some different flavour combinations.